Are you looking for a list of movies to watch while spending time at home? I’ve put together a list of films that make perfect movie marathons! These are the movies that require hours (days even!) to invest in order to see them all. But, the interesting movie worlds and fan base that you’re brought into make it so worth it. Most of these movies are family friendly and I’d say they are great movies for teenagers to watch too.
Here are my recommendations on the best movies to binge watch at home.
Organized by these genres:
Super Hero Movies to Binge Watch
Marvel Cinematic Universe, aka the MCU
I had maybe watched an MCU movie or two over the years, but I can vividly recall when Avengers: Infinity War premiered in theaters. There was such a commotion about this movie and some big cliff-hanger, crazy ending. I didn’t know what happened, but all the excitement over it had me intrigued. So, in the weeks following, I watched all of the MCU movies I could find online and went to see Avengers: Infinity War in theaters weeks after it premiered. It was honestly so worth it. A few of the films in the series are boring, but overall it’s such an enjoyable, entertaining series to dive into. They are action-packed, super-hero movies, but they are well-written and have good jokes. Plus, seeing Black Panther and Captain Marvel break the mold of the typical superhero movie was. so. good
My recommendation is to watch the films in chronological order based off of when the story is taking place. So you might be watching a movie that came out in 2019, but was set in 1995 before you watch the movies that came out in 2008.
How to Watch the Marvel Movies in Chronological Order
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Captain Marvel
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- The Incredible Hulk
- The Avengers
- Iron Man 3
- Thor: Dark World
- Captain America: Winter Soldier
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Captain America: Civil War
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Doctor Strange
- Black Panther
- Thor: Ragnorak
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Ant-Man and The Wasp
- Avengers: Endgame
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
My favorites from the bunch: All of the Iron Man movies because Robert Downey Jr. is so funny. Captain Marvel and Black Panther because it’s exciting to see women and minorities as the stars of superhero movies and the time spent in the 90’s is a fun throwback. Lastly, Spider-Man. I thought I was loyal to the Spider-Man movies of my teenage years, but Tom Holland is a great Spider-Man and Zendaya who’s amazing is also in the movies.
And speaking of Spider-Man…
The Spider-Man Films
This suggestion is a little different, but if you’ve already watched most of the Marvel movies and enjoy the story of Spider-Man, try watching all of the different iterations of Spider-Man movies over the last ~20 years. You get to see Tobey Maguire’s version, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. For bonus points, watch the recent animated version too! Jake Johnson (aka Nick Miller on New Girl!) does one of the voices.
You’ll watch them in order from older to newer in terms of when they premiered.
Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man
- Spider-Man (2002)
- Spider-Man 2 (2004)
- Spider-Man 3 (2007) *I won’t lie, this one is so cheesy! Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man
- The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
Spider-Man with Tom Holland
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
- Spider-Man 2: Far From Home (2019)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
The Dark Knight Trilogy
This trilogy used to be my favorite “superhero” series and it’s honestly the bar by which I measure all others. The actors are so talented and it has a moody, dark vibe that’s a nice contrast to a lot of other superhero movies that try so hard to be funny. You’ll see the late Heath Ledger in his role as the Joker and it’s obvious why people were talking about it so much – he does a great job.
- Batman Begins (2005)
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Fantasy & Sci-Fi Movies to Binge Watch
The Harry Potter Films
If you haven’t read the book series, you’re missing out and I honestly recommend doing both if you have the time. It’s a great, immersive story that honestly made so many of my friends into readers! I’ll always have a soft spot for these books & films.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
If you want to continue with the Wizarding World, try:
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
Lord of the Rings
This is another fantasy series about a group of friends on a journey. You’ll find themes about courage and power. I certainly has similarities to Harry Potter, while being an amazing story of its own. If you’re going to commit to LOTR it’s a must to watch the extended versions. And you can add in The Hobbit series for even more.
- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- The Two Towers (2002)
- The Return of the King (2003)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
- The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)
Okay, so it’s highly likely some of these came out before you and I were even born, but it’s one of the longest-standing film series and a true saga. It’s also recommended to watch these in chronological order of the story, not the date that the movie premiered.
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace / set 32 years before A New Hope (1999)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones / 22 years before (2002)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith / 19 years before (2005)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story / about a decade before (2018)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story / ends moments before ANH (2016)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back / three years after A New Hope (1980)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi / four years after (1983)
- Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens / 34 years after (2015)
- Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi / 34 years after (2017)
- Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker / 35 years after (2019)
The Matrix Series
The Matrix Trilogy is one of the most well-known sci-fi franchises ever. The protagonist, Neo, is played by Keanu Reeves. The movie depicts a future in which the reality we perceive is actually created by machines. This is one series I have yet to watch, but know I’m missing out on. My goal is to watch them before The Matrix 4 comes out in 2021.
- The Matrix (2000)
- The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
- The Matrix Revolutions (2003)
Moving on from superheroes and fantasy movies, I also have recommendations for scary movies, comedies and an animated family favorite.
Scary Movies to Binge Watch
I don’t love watching super scary movies, but enjoy ones that give some good jump scares and have some funny scenes. Below are two of my favorites, and if you want more scares, I’d suggest the Saw series and the Halloween movies.
The Scream Movies
I consider this a mix of satire and horror, and a lot of fun. The Scream movies revitalized the horror genre and brought a new twist to it back in the late 90’s.
- Scream (1996)
- Scream 2 (1997)
- Scream 3 (2000)
- Scream 4 (2011)
The movie that made me SO afraid of flying… or being behind a truck carrying a load on the highway. Watch at your own risk!
- Final Destination (2000)
- Final Destination 2 (2003)
- Final Destination 3 (2006)
- The Final Destination (2009)
- Final Destination 5 (2011)
The Best Comedies to Binge Watch
The Hangover Series
The Hangover movies are so over-the-top and hilarious. They’re perfect for brightening your mood and thinking about wild adventures to have some day.
- The Hangover (2009)
- The Hangover Part II (2011)
- The Hangover Part III (2013)
This is a short and sweet series from recent years with jokes that still land. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill make a great pair.
- 21 Jump Street (2012)
- 22 Jump Street (2014)
American Pie had so much scandal when it first came out. The pie scene! LOL. It’s a ridiculous series, but fun to revisit and watch through as the group grows up.
- American Pie (1999)
- American Pie 2 (2001)
- American Wedding (2003)
- American Reunion (2012)
Romantic & Lighthearted Movies to Binge Watch
Bridget Jones’s Diary
There aren’t many romantic comedy series out there, but the one we have is great.
- Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)
- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004)
- Bridget Jones’s Baby (2016)
The Before Trilogy
This is a (so-far) 3 part series that follows the same characters through different stages of a relationship. I don’t want to give too much away, but you do see the same two characters in each film and how their lives have changed over the years. It’s one of my personal favorites, but one that I don’t often see shared or talked about. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it.
- Before Sunrise (1995)
- Before Sunset (2004)
- Before Midnight (2013)
The Best Animated Movie to Binge Watch
I had to include this one! This is the movie series we all grew up with. I love that they embraced the passage of time over the years and the cycle that toys go through. If you’re craving more Pixar and Disney movies, I’d recommend watching the animated original and then live-action version of your favorite (like Beauty and the Beast or Lion King!)
- Toy Story (1995)
- Toy Story 2 (1999)
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- Toy Story 4 (2019)
There you go! I think this list could keep anyone busy at home with some great cinematic fun. Is there a movie series you like to binge? Share any recos I missed below!